Saturday, January 1, 2011

Thankful

This morning Gram wanted to make us breakfast. My grandma has told us that cooking for our family is one of the only things that helps to take her mind off of the fact that my Poppy passed away. She made enough food for a small village. Grandma raised four boys and she is cooking meals as if they are still living under her roof. This morning, halfway through our meal, my son asked why we didn't say a prayer before we ate today. So, we all stopped eating. My son asked if he could say the prayer. "Dear God, thank you for electricity. Thank you for forgiveness. Thank you for watching over our family. Thank you for my sister and my food. Amen." We all congratulated him for doing such a wonderful job. I have thought about my sons prayer all day.
It has been a challenging year. One of the hardest of my life. I can't imagine a better way to start the next year than to give thanks. This year I am not resolving to give up anything. We have given up a lot the past year. This year is about being gracious for the things we have. I am so thankful for the time I have with my grandma, I am thankful for the fact that we have the ability to cook more than enough food. I am thankful for my husband and my kids and the sacrifices they have been willing to make. I am fortunate.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Trae. Tanner's prayer has blessed me, too. What wonderful kids you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanner is developing excellent lifelong skills in reflecting on the joys we havein our lived.

    When I discovered the joys of sharing my life blossomed. Try writing down five things you are grateful for each day.

    They are typically simple on my list:

    grateful for a warm home (and the ability to pay my heat bill)

    grateful for my self control/self awareness over my former food addiction

    grateful for my abilities to teach reading skills in many ways to a wide variety of learners

    grateful for God sending just the right people and circumstances into my life

    ReplyDelete