Sunday, November 6, 2011

Shark Attack

Last night I was watching Ella and Tanner playing together.  Tanner got a new toy that has a boat and a shark.  In the middle of their game Tanner stopped and told Ella that if she really got eaten by a shark he would jump in the water and try to save her but if he didn't live that would be O.k. because he didn't want to live without his sister.  Naturally this thought as a mother was extremely disturbing to me.  And, of course as a mother the thought has not left my head.  I explained to Tanner that if he was ever in a situation where someone he loved was in danger, it is  a brave thought to try and save them, but really it is better to try and get help.  The last thing someone he loved would want would be for him to put his life at risk as well.  Ella responded, "You have to admit mom, siblings change your life, I can't imagine a life without Tanner."  I watch them argue all day long, but then I watch them express to each other true confessions of love.  I feel like the relationship between siblings growing up is so special.  There is no editing, if they annoy one another they make it perfectly known.  They express authentic emotions, whether it be mad, sad, happy, or disappointed but if upset they always work it out and genuinely forgive each other. They embrace and accept each other for who they are.  So it is no surprise to me that they can't imagine a life without the other.  It is real true love.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Love it. I might be like Tanner though. I might jump in before I really thought about it. That is why Tanner and I should probably sign up for some self defence classes together.

    ReplyDelete